GNS3 is Graphical Network Simulator while VPCS is Virtual PC Simulator. VPCS or Virtual PC Simulator is included in GNS3 all in one installer. It is one of the best way to add computer in GNS3 topology because it can save your memory and CPU usage. However VPCS function is quite limited to ping and trace route. So if you only need to ping or trace route to simulate your network, then using VPCS will be very useful. This post will guide you step by step on how to use VPCS in GNS3 and simulate the network. This tutorial will include all necessary pictures in order to make it easier for you to understand.
1. Firstly go to ‘Edit’ and choose ‘symbol manager’.
2. Under Available symbol category, choose computer. Bring it to the right (customized nodes). Please make sure you choose ‘cloud’ as the type under customized node settings. Just change the name to VPCS or other unique name as u like. Click Apply and Ok.
3. Now the ‘VPCS’ will appear at the node types on the left of GNS3. For example, just drag 2 VPCS. Change the hostname to VPCS1 and VPCS2
4. Open VPCS command prompt. You can find it at start menu -> GNS3 -> VPCS. At any time if you need any help with the command on VPCS, you can just simply use the question mark ‘?’ button. For starting, type ‘show’. You will see there are 9 VPCS. Since in this example we use 2 VPCS, i will choose VPCS1 and VPCS2. Take note the port use for each of the VPCS.
5. Back to the GNS3 interface, configure the VPCS1 (Right click VPCS1 and choose configure). Node configurator window will pop up. At the ‘NIO UDP’ tab, set the local port and remote port accordingly. Clik ‘Add’ and ‘OK’.
6. The same procedure goes to VPCS2. Set the local port and remote port accordingly.
7. When you add link between the router and VPCS1 and VPCS2, choose the ‘nio_udp’ port.
8. Next is to set the ip address of VPCS1 and VPCS2. Go to the VPCS command prompt,
and set the ip address of VPCS1 and VPCS2. Actually you can type ‘ip ?’ to get help on how you can set up ip address. But i’ll show you how to that. Type
ip 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.254 24
ip 192.168.2.2 192.168.2.254 24
192.168.1.1 = The ip address of the VPCS1
192.168.1.254 = The ip address of the default gateway
24 = 24 bit
2 = Change from VPCS1 to VPCS2
You can type ‘show’ to view the ip address that you have set up.
9. Now start the router and don’t forget to configure the ip address for each of router interfaces as usual. I don’t think it’s necessary for me to teach you to achieve that.
10. Once you are done, you can try ping from VPCS1 to VPCS2 and vice versa.
That’s all. Thank You.