This post is simple guide on how to update phpBB to new version. I find updating version on phpBB not as simpler as WordPress. Yes it’s easy but sometime can be little bit confusing. So in this guide, i will show step by step how you can update phpBB to new version. In this example, i will update phpBB version 3.0.10 to phpBB version 3.0.11.
1. Firstly, go to phpBB Downloads page and choose automatic update tab. Now select your current phpBB version and download the update package.
2. Extract the zip or bz2 package file. You will find one folder named “install”. Upload the folder into your root phpBB location via FTP.
3. Once the “install” folder uploaded into your phpBB location, your board forum will change into maintenance mode. Now access to the install folder using your browser http://www.example.com/install.
4. Choose the update tab. In the version check page, your current phpBB version will be displayed and the latest version phpBB.
5. Then you will be required to update database. You can accomplished this by only a single button click. Just click the “update my database now”.
6. You will be displayed with result of database update. In normal situation, the progress should be done without any errors. Click the “continue the update process now” button.
7. Now you will be displayed with new files, not modified files and modified files. Pay attention to the modified files. Sometimes there are files that you have modified manually before. So, you will see the modified files and you can choose what to do. Either use currently installed files, use new files or merge files. You can view the resulting files or merged differences if you wish to. Normally, just select “merged modifications” if you have no idea what to choose.
At the bottom, you can choose either FTP Upload or Download Modified Files Archive. In this example, i use download modified files archive.
8. Next on “update files” page, select the archive format you wish to download and download it. Below the download section, you can see all files in the download archive and the destination on phpBB that you should upload the files. It’s really a long list. Not to worry, just follow next step.
9. Extract the package that you just downloaded. What you need to do now actually just upload back all the files to your phpBB location via FTP. This action will overwrite the old files with the new files.
10. Once done uploading the files, click “continue update now”. If all the files has been correctly uploaded, you will be displayed which mention that your update was successful.
11. Rename or delete your install folder that you have uploaded in step 2. Now login to your Administration Control Panel (ACP) to verify that your version has been successfully updated to the latest version.
That’s all. Hope this will be a good guide for you to update your phpBB to latest version. Thank You.